Dance Well is Akademi’s 3-year community participation project funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund.
Dance Well provides regular opportunities for adults to attend dance and movement sessions, partnering with charity organisations, care homes, day centres and hospitals, as well as community learning and education providers.
The project focuses on three main areas:
• Those living with dementia
• Older adults with little physical activity and who may be isolated in the community
• Those living with poor long term heart and lung health.
Dance Well’s Aims:
• To encourage older adults to participate in moderate physical activity of 150 minutes per week.
• To promote greater social engagement and well-being amongst older adults.
• To increase health and fitness of older adults.
• To provide opportunities for those living with dementia to engage with creative and cultural material.
• To provide high quality resources for dance artists working within arts and health.
• To advocate for greater investment in dance for health in the wider community.
If you are interested in being involved, would like to learn more about our work, or know of older adults in need of physical activity, please contact us.
“Camden Carers Centre are excited to have been offered the Dance Well programme for people with dementia and their carers. We anticipate it being a lot of fun and a great way to promote movement and physical activity or those who sometimes feel they are not able to engage with these activities.”
Tracey Smith, Older Carers and Dementia Opportunities Coordinator
Dance Well is funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund.