Akademi Choreography Commissions were supported by Esmee Fairbairn.
Akademi’s Choreography Commissions support artists to develop their choreographic practice. They provide exciting opportunities to showcase new work, as well as offering financial support and the very highest level of advice and mentoring.
Over the last three years, with the generous support of Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, Akademi supported the creation of 18 new dance works from emerging and mid-career South Asian choreographers. Many of these works have gone on to tour the UK and Europe. This national scheme was delivered in partnership with Gem Arts, Sampad, Kadam, CICD, South East Dance, Yorkshire Dance, Dance Umbrella, Southbank Centre and The Place.
Join our mailing list to keep in touch with future commission opportunities.
Choreography Commissions 2017
- Seeta Patel was awarded £5,000 to present a group choreography.
- Manuela Benini, Parbati Chaudhury, Raheem Mir and Shivaangee Agrawal were awarded £2,000 to present a solo choreography.
The selected artists also received:
- A fund of £750 to be allocated to an artist-nominated mentor.
- A platform to present the work at Alchemy Festival at Southbank Centre.
- Three one-to-one sessions with a member of Akademi’s artist support & development team and project partners where appropriate.
- Marketing and communications support.
- Opportunities to network with promoters, stakeholders, opinion formers and policy makers.