Dance Well is Akademi’s 3-year community participation project funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund.
Dance Well provides regular opportunities for adults to attend dance and movement sessions, partnering with charity organisations, care homes, day centres and hospitals, as well as community learning and education providers.
The project focuses on three main areas:
- Those living with dementia
- Older adults with little physical activity and who may be isolated in the community
- Those living with poor long term heart and lung health
Dance Well’s Aims:
- To encourage older adults to participate in moderate physical activity of 150 minutes per week.
- To promote greater social engagement and well-being amongst older adults.
- To increase health and fitness of older adults.
- To provide opportunities for those living with dementia to engage with creative and cultural material.
- To provide high quality resources for dance artists working within arts and health.
- To advocate for greater investment in dance for health in the wider community.
If you are interested in being involved, would like to learn more about our work, or know of older adults in need of physical activity, please contact us.
Dance Well in the news
Resource booklet available now
This publication brings together collected exercises and activities specific to South Asian Dance forms, that have worked well with older adults and those living with dementia.
To download the Dance Well Resource Book for free please provide your name and email address. Please contact us to request a hard copy.
Dance Well is funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund.