Akademi and Polka are joining forces to co-produce Plastics: Drastic and Fantastic (working title) a contemporary dance theatre work for children and their families which will explore our complex relationship with plastics – the fantastic possibilities they offer, as well as the drastic consequences to the environment.
We are looking for the following artists to join the creative team:
- Three Bharatanatyam-trained dance artists with contemporary dance experience
- An assistant choreographer to work alongside Akademi’s Artistic Director Suba Subramaniam
Drawing from South Asian dance techniques, the participating artists will explore plastics and the dangers of their misuse through intricate movement, gestures and play infused with interaction with the audience.
The processes and stories underpinning this project will be steered by children and young people – who are at the heart of the research for this work which will be created in collaboration with material scientists at UCL.
- Deadline for applications:1st October 2021
- Shortlisted applicants notified: 5th October 2021
- Interviews for assistant choreographer: 8th October 2021
- Audition for dance artists: 11th October 2021
- Successful applicants notified: 13th October 2021
- R&D: 29th November to 10th December 2021
- Creation and rehearsals: March 2022
- Performances: April-May 2022
Please apply to email@example.com with the following:
- A short paragraph (150 words) to tell us a bit about yourself and why you’d like to be a part of this project
- Up to 3 Video link/s – if available, showing your most recent performances/work
- A short paragraph (250 words) to tell us a bit about yourself and your choreographic practice and why you’d like to be a part of this project
- Up to 3 Video link/s – if available, showing your most recent choreographic works
If you would like to apply with the above in a different way, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org This could include sending us a short video or voice recording if this is your preferred way of applying.